- Reading independent-level texts
- Writing a response to a book
- Recording the names of a book read in an individual reading log
- Reading books from the school library that are on an independent level
- Keeping a list of words and word parts that students have learned in a journal
- Searching for newly-introduced words in texts of books
- Rewriting sentences to include spelling words
Individualizing at the Self-Selected Reading
- Self-selected reading might be the easiest station to individualize. During this time, allow students to read books that are at their independent reading level.
- Assign groups at the self-selected reading station different activities to do as they read.
- Use colored baskets that match the color you assign to each group in order for students to identify where to find their assignment.